Saif Zaib passed 1,000 first-class runs but Day 2 followed the script of it’s predecessor as rain once again cut short the contest between Northamptonshire and Glamorgan at Cardiff.

Figures of four for 18 from Andrew Salter helped Glamorgan dismiss Northamptonshire for 215 although the home county only needed to take nine wickets with Gareth Berg absent hurt.

Glamorgan’s reply reached 52 for two when the second rain shower of the day delivered a fatal blow to the afternoon’s action.

Rain meant only 44.5 overs were possible on day one and further overnight rain day two started half an hour late, but Northamptonshire saw Berg suffer an ankle injury after slipping on the wet outfield while warming up. It was a big blow to the visitors.

Overnight batsman Charlie Thurston and Saif Zaib resumed with the score 128 for four and while both played and missed on occasion, the pair were relatively untroubled.

Zaib went to 50 from 92 balls, passing 1,000 career first-class runs in the process, but both batsmen were then dismissed in quick succession. First, Thurston was caught by Billy Root from the bowling of Michael Hogan before Zaib drove Salter to Marnus Labuschagne at short cover for 50.

Salter also dismissed Simon Kerrigan for a 22-ball duck, caught by Timm van der Gugten at mid-on.

Ben Sanderson was given out lbw looking to pull a short Salter delivery with Northamptonshire 197 for eight at lunch and Salter’s fifth ended the innings nine down after the break, Jack White caught by Van der Gugten.

Glamorgan opener Joe Cooke survived a run out scare but was then caught at first slip by Northamptonshire captain Ricardo Vasconcelos as Sanderson got one to move away off the seam.

Vasconcelos then grabbed David Lloyd too with Luke Procter the bowler this time.
A sharp downpour forced the players from the field at half past three with Glamorgan 48 for two and an early tea was taken.  Labuschagne and Root returned to the field but were able to add only four more runs before more wet weather intervened.

The second shower of the day was far heavier than the first and play was abandoned at five past five.