Harry Gouldstone recorded a maiden half century as he and Keogh guided a 9-man Northamptonshire side to an unlikely draw against Glamorgan.

The home side declared on their overnight score of 462 for four for a first-innings lead of 247 runs and with Northamptonshire two men down, they were firm favourites for victory.

Such a win would have been remarkable given the length of time lost to rain over the first two days and a Glamorgan success looked even more likely when Michael Neser took three quick wickets.

But an unbeaten 71 from Rob Keogh – whose innings came in two parts after he retired on 50 to attend his late grandmother’s funeral service online – steadied Northamptonshire’s innings and Harry Gouldstone’s 67 not out made the game safe.

Northamptonshire – who were already a man light after Gareth Berg suffered an ankle injury in the day two warm-up – were dealt a further cruel blow.

A club statement on Wednesday morning read: “Luke Procter will miss the final day of the ongoing County Championship fixture against Glamorgan.

“Procter left the squad on Tuesday evening following news of a family bereavement. The thoughts of everyone at Northamptonshire County Cricket Club are with Luke and his family.”

Players and match officials observed a minute’s silence before play, with Northamptonshire’s players sporting black armbands through the day.

It meant Glamorgan needed only eight wickets on the final day to win the match and they grabbed their first with just the second ball of the morning.

Northamptonshire captain Ricardo Vasconcelos was strangled down the leg side by Neser who had received his Glamorgan cap just minutes earlier. Emilio Gay was the next to go in the same unfortunate fashion as Vasconcelos.

Thurston looked composed at the crease before he edged a good Neser delivery to Chris Cooke for 29 and what was the Glamorgan wicketkeeper’s third catch of the morning.

Northamptonshire’s first session went from bad to worse when Saif Zaib was needlessly run out with the last action before lunch. Keogh hit Salter to Labuschagne at cover and the Australian’s throw was too fast for Zaib and Cooke whipped off the bails.

Neser and Labuschagne settled into the attack after lunch but found Keogh and Gouldstone in an obdurate mood.

Keogh went to 50 from 112 balls but then immediately retired with family matters unsurprisingly on his mind.

Simon Kerrigan replaced the retired not out Keogh and looked comfortable from the start, building an 86 run partnership with Gouldstone that lasted just over two hours.

Kerrigan was caught behind by Cooke off Michael Hogan for 36 when the second new ball came, but with Keogh returning to the crease Glamorgan couldn’t do enough to force victory.

Northamptonshire finishing 250 for five with Gouldstone unbeaten on 67 from 199 balls, Keogh 71 from 137.